Wednesday, October 8, 2014

An open letter to Sony and Marvel

Dear Sony and Marvel,

I hear that you're in talks to bring Spider-Man into the MCU! This is such exciting news that I just want to encourage you to keep on this path and iron out all the difficulties--and I know there will be a lot of them. Marvel comics are based on a huge interconnected world, where team rosters overlap and heroes from one team know others, and it would be amazing if all the Big Names could even just cameo in each other's films.

But then I also hear that your plan to bring them together would involve recasting and rebooting again--when te current reboot isn't even done. This seems...wasteful. I'm the first to admit that I don't know how these things happen behind closed doors, but since the legalities will undoubtedly be super complicate to work out, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the story simple?

Here's how I see it: Spider-Man has just gotten established as a crime fighter. Okay; just say that all this happened before Avengers--even right before. So then, as a New York hero, he knows exactly what happened, he participated in it without hooking up with the Avengers, and he's been continuing to freelance while all that shit with Shield went down. Now, he's aware of all that stuff, he's living in a post-invasion world, and his villains are also aware of it. Bam! No need to reboot AGAIN, and only (I would assume), modifications to the already long-term contracts of the people already in the movies doing a really good job of it. Work it out in plot, not in reboot. 

That being said, I know I'm not one of your writers (though if you need one, I'm willing). I know that Marvel has a good track record with the balance of their movies. I know that this current version of Spider-Man was the best yet. I have faith that this will turn out well.

I'm just unclear on why it has to be done the hard way.

Your fan,
Sami




NOTES:

No comments: